Tussy Mussy in Two Versions


Above is a Tussy Mussy that I made for my shabby chic living room. I plan to hang it in a different spot, surrounded by lots of pretty ephemera. For now I wanted to take a nice photo of it so you can see all the details very clearly.

To make it I used a sheet of lightweight cardstock (160 gsm) which I rolled into a cone. I fastened it temporarily with a few bits of clear tape, then I covered it with book pages. I had previously printed some botanical designs on the book pages (after tearing them out of the book) with my inkjet printer. I glued the pages to the cone using a small amount of white glue, which I smoothed out with my fingers to eliminate any bumps.

I covered it inside and out (the inside only needs to be covered down to the point where you'll be able to see from the outside, once it's filled). After the glue was dry, I trimmed the top bit into a curve so it would be easier to glue on laces and trims.

At the bottom I used a small amount of hot glue to adhere a bit of lace trim to give the cone a "tail", and at the top I put more of the same lace. On the front part of the top opening I hot glued the corner from an embroidered silk handkerchief.

Using hot glue I adhered fabric flowers, eyelash trim, faux pearls, mulberry flowers & small plastic flowers, and I hung a bulb pin with a heart charm and beads from the right side of the handkerchief. To hang it I hot glued a small loop of twine to the back.

To fill the cone I wadded up some scraps of paper, then I took some Spanish moss which I rolled into a ball and set it on top of the wadded up paper. I would like to put a small bird there, if I can find one the size and color that I want, and maybe add a few mulberry flowers around the bird. I think it looks OK with nothing, actually.


Here is the second cone, which I made in the same manner as the first, except I decorated it a bit differently. It is an Easter gift for my mother-in-law. I made the fabric flowers and the paper flowers by hand (but not the mulberry flowers).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts