Mixed Media Collage for Beginners

 


Abstract Mixed Media Collages on Index Cards
by Marcy Coate

Lately I've been really enamored with abstract mixed media that is done on a collage background. There are lots of them on Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube, and I've been trying with a few, but just so frustrated. I could never get the background to turn out like anything except a muddy mess. 

However, the other day I was downloading something or other from Creative Fabrica, and I came across this shop that is full of beautiful collaged backgrounds in all different color palettes. So I thought...wait a minute! You could print those out on plain white cardstock and do your mixed media stuff on top of that!

So I tried it, and the photo above is the result. I printed the backgrounds 4 to a page so that they are about the size of index cards. Then I went crazy with my acrylic markers, Sharpie markers, water soluble pastel crayons and some watered down white acrylic paint for the splatters. I'm so pleased with the result.

At first I was a little timid, making small marks, but then I decided to make some bigger, really odd shapes to just experiment. After all, if it didn't turn out the way I wanted I could always print out the backgrounds again and start over. I mean...it's just paper!

I feel like the artist in me has finally been liberated! Stay tuned for a YouTube video where I'll show you some of the techniques that I am using.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts